View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Hi Jake,

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the use and ownership of GLL's in Australia.

The B709B form is required for importation only. The B710 would only be required if it is a licenceable item, to my knowledge.

An Actic Fox 40mW laser rifle sight is available from Gun Mart in Midland WA for about $265, which includes the mount, which fits on a gun slide which will cost about $20. These are the GLL that I use and they are great. Unfortunately they don't have a website but have been around for a long time. Their in the Yellow Pages.

I would check with your central firearms branch, as in WA, these are not a "prohibited weapon", but rather a "controlled weapon" and that has less strict requirements. In WA we were only required to complete a form B709B for importation and require no other paperwork, whatsoever and I have this in writing from the Police Minister. There is no paperwork required to purchase over the counter and anyone can own them as long as they have a valid use and astronomy is such a valid use. Those caught carrying them without a valid use face stiff fines.

My understand is that the laws that were introduced were uniform between states, with the exception of NSW. I am no expert, so I am only going by my experiences.

Frankly, the only place you should be taking advice from is your "central" Firearms branch for the CORRECT information. It will save you a lot of pain.

Going to your local police station is useless, as if they are not involved with the firearms branch, they simply don't know.

If a licence is required in VIC, I sure hope they don't bring that in here, I have enough licences to pay for as it is.