View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 10:18 PM
DRCORTEX (Lance)
Neo - as in Dr Neo Cortex

Liftoff

My first experience - excuse the obviousness of my lack of obvious

Cloud, Cloud, Saturday night, some breaks, GO GO GO! - my inital results , really dissapointed.

At this point, what I saw through the finder, did not match what I saw through the scope. Light could be seen through the 2" crawford, just not where I thought it would be. Obviously, my obviouslessness, was not obvious at this point

Well, twist this, turn that, and then, realise that sometimes, left, actually means right, and we get the moon.

The moon, yeah, right, the moon, twist, turn, and then BANG! - WOW! - that is absolutely farkin ( scuse me ) incredible!

The whole family took a look, and there was not one "yeah ho hum" amongst them. I actually had to get the son to "move it - my scope, my time when I want it - heh = felt good". I was really amazed by the clarity of seeing a crater, and a crater within that crater!

Started to move to another point, then, ah, clouds - what can I say. Not the greatest start to my astronomical endeavours, but, pleased. I can only imagine what I could see on a fine night, no light.

What is more, I didn't actually see that particular point of light next to the moon, but, I think I will look up a few maps and see what it was, why, becasue I'm curious. Hmmm, they say that curiosity killed the cat ?

All in all, if the moon is a start, then the skies the limit - good grief - I should be in adverts

Interesting that the 2" EP ( hehe - my first journey into astrospeake ) should show the moon so cool ! - yet the 9 and 15 EP's - showed just a wash of light. Obviously again, I have a lot to learn ( insert READ READ HELP here ).

I would love to get the moon even closer, so comments please.

If this is a taste - then "Whip The Monkey" - give me some more - I want to show my nephews there is more to life than PS2 - well Amiga 500 anyway
EDIT: and C64 and ELITE! - they couldn't duplicate that

Regards,

Neo ( Lance )

Next stop Mars!