Thread: Another newbie
View Single Post
Old 17-05-2011, 11:11 PM
anthonywr (Anthony)

Another newbie

Hi all,
Yet another newbie here. Im currently in Melbourne, but moving back to Canberra in the next month or two - already dreading the cold!

In February my wife wanted to do a night sky photography course with Phil Hart (Hi Phil!) and convinced me to go along - It didnt take much convincing
I must have contracted something that weekend. The mosquitoes were out in force and now I get crazy excited whenever I think about astro-stuff. It's like whatever I caught has infected my brain with excitement and awe, much like it was when I was a kid gazing at the moon through the $50 supermarket telescope I got for a birthday, and before schooling and corporate reality dulled it.

In any case, Im now looking to get some toys! and my wife only has herself to blame!

For a mount Im debating between the HEQ5, EQ6 or NEQ6 with GOTO.
I'm not really sure which to get, but thinking the 6's incase I want to put a reflector on it in future. It'll also carry a DSLR or two, and a guide scope at some point.
The specs for the EQ6 and NEQ6 look the same. Are there any differences besides the price?

I like the diffraction pattern you get with newtonian reflectors when photographing wide field nebula and such. However Im thinking of getting a Skywatcher ED80 Refractor OTA because of its simplicity for a newbie.
Whats the difference between the standard model and the Black Diamond versions, besides the ~$400?

TIA for any input.