View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Trent & All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
It takes an exceptionally experienced observer, an exceptionally good telescope and outstanding observing conditions, to see it in any telescope under 12" aperture. On top of that a UHC filter helps somewhat and a H-Beta filter helps a lot. I have spent dozens of hours searching for it in 8" and 10" telescopes (good ones) with and without filters, without success. I remember I spent over an hour searching for it in my 10" scope at Wiruna ( at 2002 SPSP?) with Glen Dawes (co author of the Astronomy yearbook) under superb conditions without success. On the other hand, the Flame Nebula (NGC 2024) is very achievale in an 8" scope from dark skies.
Trent, it is very hard to add to, or meaningfully expand the advice given by Bammo that I've reproduced (quoted above). It is 100% spot on gospel. It could be sugar-coated but that won't help. John is one of the most experienced visual observers in Australia.

Note carefully those words "exceptionally experienced observer, an exceptionally good telescope and outstanding observing conditions". Yes, several reputable and experienced observers have managed it in 8" and even slightly smaller 'scopes, but for a beginner, it is an extremely tough ask. It's not that experienced observers have "super" or even better eyes than beginners. But, experienced observers do have accurately tuned expectations of exactly what to look for and this is be big difference. Many experienced observers equally have failed with 8" 'scopes. The smallest aperture I've seen it in is 10".

There was a Deep Sky Delights article in the January 2009 edition of Australian Sky & Telescope that dealt with the subject of the Horsehead that some might find helpful.

You can get back issues at the magazine web-site:

http://www.austskyandtel.com.au/TheM...U/Default.aspx

The flame nebula is very frequently mistaken for the horsehead -- don't fall into that trap!

Have a go by all means but ...

Best,

Les D