View Single Post
Old 22-10-2009, 09:42 PM
jmb
newbee

Need some help!!

Since my last thread, i have done a fair bit of research and drawn on the experience of some of the members here, mainly Alex, who has been extremely patient with me.
I very much like the idea of portability and good optics. I know most would probably recommend a DOB, but i have just sold my 6”DOB due to my lack of physical space. I need something compact, and light, that is easy to set up...and that i actually use. So I am wanting a nice ‘grab and go’ telescope.
I have checked out refractors recommended here, and like the SkyWatcher 102mm Refractor. The reviews for this model seem very good. I was also leaning towards the SkyWatcher 120mm Refractor but felt it did not get as good reviews as the 102mm. (both of these would be purchased locally New = this option would allow me to purchase some accessories NOW)
I thought I would check out that perception here with people who are familiar with both.
Another possibility, is the Celestron C5 or G5, while these are more expensive I realise these are probably big improvements over the refractors. (Both of these would be second-hand – would not purchase any accessories at this stage)
Also looking at the Skywatcher black diamond 127MAK (local purchase new – would not purchase any accessories at this stage)
I guess at this point i am somewhat confused and thought it best to share some of my thoughts here before going ahead with any purchases.
Thanks for your time
Regards
Janine