View Single Post
Old 20-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc View Post
Ok--the biggy is:
With a 10" soild tube dob carefully moving it from the house into the backyard,in the real world-will it really need adjustment everytime I use it for looking at the brighter DSOs?
Or will I beable to live with things not being perfect(if I havnt the time to calibrate on the night)?
If you're just taking it from the back door to the back yard, no, you should not have to collimate every time. You will need to always check the finderscope, however (I'm always amazed at people who think finders should be set like concrete once they've done them - nup!). Just carrying the dob around at home should not be enough to greatly shift things about.

But if you take it for a drive in your car, then yes, collimate everytime it comes out of the back of the car. It will get jolted around quite a bit on the journey and will appreciate a quick tweak of the mirrors.

As the others have said, don't be afraid of collimation. If you don't have a go you'll never learn and then you'll be even worse off than making a few learning mistakes along the way.