View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
I understand Mike's point of view about potential legal action etc, but in the end, as far as I understand it, individuals' comments remain theirs. All Mike has to do is to provide anyone taking legal action with the IP address and details of the individual making the posts and then direct legal action would be taken against the individual. Quite possibly, Mike would have to remove the offending "post/thread" upon legal comment. What we are effictively seeing is pressure placed on the forums, by resellers etc, to censor posts. Is this truly morally right?
Unfortunately it's not that simple, or as black and white as that.

For some people, they may want to defend their right to "freedom of speech" all the way to court, and may choose to run a forum that way.

Myself, I do not.

I don't wish to place myself, my house, my family at any risk of exposure to stand up for someone else's 'freedom of speech'. That's why the TOS is there as it is - it means we avoid these discussions and I can sleep at night.

Anyone is welcome to start their own forum or shout from the rooftops if they believe so strongly in it.
I've even seen people do that - start a forum so they can have the "freedom of speech" that was so rudely robbed of them here at IceInSpace (yes, I'm being sarcastic ). Let me tell you how that turned out - they had to introduce rules after a while, too.

Nothing is ever as black and white as you want it to be.