View Single Post
Old 17-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Kerrie

I purchased a Pentax *ist DS DSLR a few years ago (and a fine camera it is), as I had several manual Pentax K mount lenses from my film days. The Pentax was small, lightweight and had that indefinable “Pentax” quality about it that I have liked since owning my 1st 35mm film Pentax purchased in 1976.

I have since purchased a Canon 40D and have noticed that there are many, many more 3rd party lenses and accessories available for the Canon than there are for my Pentax.

So, if you don’t have a requirement to maintain compatibility with older (good quality) Pentax lenses, then I would weight up the advantages of the much larger range of accessories available for the Canon and Nikon DSLRs. It breaks my heart to write these words, as I have an attachment to Pentax from years of happy, trouble free use.

Other factors that may affect your decision may be technical, such as “anti shake” mechanisms, which I believe Pentax incorporate into the body of the camera on certain models, whereas Canon (IS) and Nikon (VR) implement them in each lens?

Cheers

Dennis