Thread: New girl
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Comet Hunter

Welcome Madge

Looks very similar to my first scope, 'cept I think mine was a Tasco, same legs and all - You know its true Santa really does know what kids want for xmas, I was only 10 or so at the time. Had many a great night under the skies with it, still remember the first time I ever seen Saturn through it.

When aligning the smaller finder scope to the main tube, I found the easiest way was to go out side in the late afternoon - OUT OF THE SUN - where you can see an object as far as way as possible - the further away it is the accurate it'll be, I used to used power poles. Locate the distant object in your telescope and tighten the screws/bolts so the object wont move out of view in the eyepiece while you are aligning the smaller scope (if using a power pole make sure you align on the same pole - I once used two poles )

Once you have the finderscope aligned play around with the eyepeice(s) and focusing and also practice 'finding' the distant object again using the finderscope to become familiar with how the scope works, cause once you're out in the dark its a whole new challenge.

Then once its dark and the stars are out shining brightly go out and have fun and enjoy the views.