View Single Post
Old 13-03-2009, 12:17 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

a 10" GSO dob is an excellent instrument ... if you know what your doing with it.

I think there is a common misconception from beginners that bigger telescopes mean more magnification, where we know the reality is a good magnification for a half decent view of Saturn, Jupiter etc. can be pushed out of an instrument half the size (albeit with less resolution etc)

Its all about light John, and what you do with it, TBH most of the time i use my dob with a 40mm eyepiece, that gives a magnification of 37.5, sometimes i use a 26mm, and sometimes a 10mm (giving a mag of around x150) Dobs are by nature, light buckets, and will capture far more than you could ever see.

I think another essential ingredient for this hobby is imagination, i have shown some object to people, and they usually fall into two categories.

1. "Is that it? that little grey smudge? i thought i would look like it does in the book"

2. "Oh wow! thats amazing to think how far away this is, and what i am seeing"

No.1's have usually been sold a false promise of instant amazement, that falls short of thier dreams (as so many things in life do)

No 2's usually have the imagination not to look at what they are seeing, but to "see" it, (bear with me, this a difference) they usually dont expect to see some image taken with the Hubble ST, but something misty, and shrouded in mystery, and open to thier own interpratation. and these are usually the people who get smitten.

I showed my partner Saturn, with the rings almost edge on, through an 80mm refractor, with a power of about 90, it was a small image, although an obvious disc about the size of a matchhead, no real features where visible, the rings could just be made out, as could Titan, i wasnt expecting much, but she was gobsmacked, and her exact words where "my god, its another world, another planet, and i am seeing it, with my own eyes!" she now comes with me to any events and thoroughly enjoys herself

like i said, you have a very competent instrument in a 10" dob, but its like fishing, it takes a huge amount of patience, understanding, and basically just chilling out and going with it, seeing itself is also an art, the 10,000 time you look at the Orion Nebula, will look completely different from the first, i gaurantee it.

but i am not knocking you mate, if its not for you, then thats fair enough !

but all i would ask is, dont give up yet, to me at least astronomy answers alot of the questions that i have started asking myself, as i am just short of 40 .. i have recently had a real sense of my own mortality, but when i look at things through the eyepiece i find it has a soothing effect, along the lines of "why am i bothered? my time here is but the blink of an eye, but here is something that really is timeless" and i get a certain comfort from that, and i am sure others here do also, its part of the common thread that binds us light gatherers together.