View Single Post
Old 14-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Lyinxz

Red face Collimation Assurance!

Hi All...

Would love some help with this

I have a 10" SW dob that I think I can collimate fairly easily... but this is what worries me... it seems too easy. So i want to make sure i am doing this right.
Ive read many articles/posts but they seem be too generalistic in giving me trust that i doing it correctly.

So i know you loyal IIS guys coulld give me some reassurance or guidance!

After putting the laser collimator into the focuser and making sure its flush i align the secondary mirror so the laser beam dot is in the little "donut" in the middle of the primary mirror. I check the collimator and make sure the laser beam dot is hitting the hole in the collimator so the laser beam dot seems to dissapear.
( by hole what i mean is where the laser beam comes out from)

I then turn the collimator around to align the primary, i fiddle with the 3 screws on the back untill the laser that is comming out of the collimator is hitting the middle hole in the collimator it self. the laser beam "dot" is then no longer visible on the collimator. I tighten the mirror into position. and assume its done! haha
I hope this right...

I have a second problem tho, I have a 4.5" newt that has no "Donut' on the primary mirror!
So how do I get the laser beam dot into the middle of the secondary?

PS: the collimator is a "York Optical" Newt Collimator.