View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Sorry Clarry,
The last thing I or anyone would want to do is put you off the idea. Allow me to make a suggestion that is far from a $1000.00, yet get you off to a great start.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm
90X900 Skywatcher Ahcro Refractor AZ3 Mount $299.00 including postage!

I started with a 60mm Tasco & can guarantee you will do much better with the $299.00 scope I have recommended above. I own a AZ3 Mount and can tell you it will do the job fine with that scope in regards to observing. That type of mount is going to be much better suited to a beginner and will allow you quick and easy viewing sessions.

Also as a beginner you will be more inclined to pick out the brighter objects in the sky, which will include mostly the moon/planets & Bright stars. The longer focal ratio will be great for such objects...you will easily split double stars as well (pick out stars that orbit each other...I loved doing that with my little tasco)

Although this will not be fantastic for DSO’s (Deep space) you can widen the field of view by using different eye peices. As for chromatic aberration, you would not care less as a beginner...you can use filters if its that bad, but I would not bother to begin with.

The thing is...you don’t need to spend a $1000.00 at all...so please don’t be put off. I wish I could of bought such a scope at only $299.00 especially with free postage.

If you want to focus on DSO’s then I would recommend that GS-680 8” Dobsonian:
click on (Guan Sheng ) to locate that scope at bottom of the page.

In fact you may very well find that not only could you go deeper, that it’s performance on planets & Lunar, more than enough...it will set you back $399.00 however you will have to get a few eyepieces. Still though, well under $1000.00

What’s the light pollution like where you live? Anyways...I just did not want to leave you high & dry...The 1st scope for $299.00 including postage would be the cheapest way out, & one I would feel comfortable recommending. In fact I may very well buy one of those for a friend of mine, beginning to show an interest in the hobby.

Hope work is going well for you...Later...
Dave J