View Single Post
Old 24-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Legin (Nigel)

Ok I have improved the view significantly. The scope was pretty badly mis-collimated when I used it for the first time. All the stars looked like little comets. I seem to have made the view a bit better now but it is still a bit out of whack.

The most trouble I am having seems to be aligning the secondary mirror.

I have abit of a question about aligning the secondary mirror under the focuser. The way I am trying to do it is simple. I place a peice of cardboard or paper in front of the primary mirror. This way all I can see through the focuser is the secondary mirror. Then I use my sight tube to try and center the primary mirror.

However this brings a few problems. One it is extremely dark and I can hardly see anything and secondly when I loosen the center screw (the one you need a screwdriver for) the whole mirror seems very loose.

Hmmm. Any advice here would be appreciated. I know collimation is more practice makes perfect but it just seems a bit too tricky for me at the moments.

LOL though I did improve things over all I have to admit I really mucked my collimation up severely the first few tries . Boy oh boy I am glad I got things back to nearly perfect again. Oh well I will get sharp view one day

Oh and what about barlowing my laser? Will this help. I have heard this helps a fair bit. Heck it will probably cost me a few bucks for a barlow lens but it is worth it if I obtain avery accurate collimation tool.