View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokatha man View Post
Hi all - this thread, and mine and other posters, makes V8's dilemma (possibly in the future) my own!

I live 600-700 metres from the beach here, and salt spray does develope on the car windscreens. Which means care and protection of my mirror is essential.

Who does re-aluminise mirrors? In the "old-days" there were plenty of firms that would re-silver them (you only had to impress on them that it was the front surface that you required the silver deposited on) but for aluminising we here in Adelaide had to freight our mirrors to Sydney. In fact, one could silver a mirror oneself if you were game, but it was both an art and skill to successfully do such.

So who does re-aluminising now in Aust?

Regards, Darryl.
there is a place that does aluminising in adelaide Darryl, a mate used to make newt/dobs for a sideline living here, before the cheap chinese stuff killed it off, Ill find out the name, it is a prominent company. hmmmm was it an arm of AWA? only thing is you need to do a batch of aluminising, , as it is lot cheaper than getting one done, they throw it in with a batch of other customers - we have at least 3 mirrors between us we want re-aluminised, keep putting it off! only thing is, it isnt the hard outer coated type, which they do in sydney i think.
I think it works out to less than a 100 bucks each, the more you have the cheaper it is, to a point.