Thread: First telescope
View Single Post
Old 13-05-2005, 04:13 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

Hey Crash,

Do get it mounted on a tripod if you can (there should be a plastic screw-on cap at the center where the hinges meet. You will need a tripod adaptor to mount your binocs on a tripod). You will be amazed at how deep you can go this way (and I think the views you will be getting will be much better than any plastic 60mm departmental store refractor!!!!!). With my 15x70's mounted, I can see the disc of Jupiter (nope can't see the equatorial bands) and its 4 moons and Saturn's rings (yup I can see them as rings away from the planet disc). Since yours can go up to 30x, I expect that you will see them better than in my 15x binocs. And you will see a lot more in DSO's as well. Phil (Harrington) once said that with using binocs and seeing with two eyes, there will be a brightness increment of up to 40% on dim diffused objects (I have tested this and it is true....for instance I find viewing sprawling diffuse spirals like M83 in Hydra and M33 in Triangulum much easier from my mag 5.5 suburban site than in my 80ST and 6"f/5 scoppe!!!!!!) . That means your tripod mounted binocs will perform like a 70mm refractor!!!!!

Go for it! the universe is your backyard!!!!!

Darren