View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 01:33 PM
Dave882 (David)

NGC 5189 - Spiral Planetary Nebula

NGC5189 is a tiny PN in Musca that has been of interest to astronomers since James Dunlop originally classified it as a bright emission nebula in 1826, and then later it was identified as a planetary nebula. It's got a peculiar S-shape which leads us to believe there is a binary central star. Hubble eventually confirmed there are 2 low-ionisation regions moving in opposite directions which suggests a second more recent outburst.

Had a pretty awful time collecting data on this one - for some reason my EAF has not been hitting the mark so have had to do a fair bit of manual focussing to get reasonable data. I need to take it apart and check nothing's slipping. Only 8hrs of acceptable data (after collecting closer to 20!) using the Optolong L-Ultimate (2min subs) and another 1hr in 30sec subs for the stars without a filter. All taken over 4 nights in and around the full moon this month.

Still I think the end result is quite nice and happy with the detail - especially some interesting knots in the Ha and complex patterns in the Oiii. She's a really interesting target and almost resembles one of those traditional Chinese dragons emerging from the ruins of a dying star...

Larger Version

C14 non edge @f7 with the Starizona reducer LF
EQ8 pro
Asi2600mc pro gain-100
Asi220mm / celestron OAG
ZWO EAF
ASIAIR pro / APP / PI

EDIT: Added a snapshot of the Oiii extracted data...probably my favourite of all the views!

Comments welcome! Thanks for having a look!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC5189_PI2_crop.jpg)
135.5 KB109 views
Click for full-size image (NGC5189_sc05_o3_reg_crop.jpg)
114.8 KB95 views

Last edited by Dave882; 01-05-2024 at 01:59 PM.