View Single Post
Old 19-04-2024, 09:13 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I just analysed, calibrated , stacked and aligned my recent image of Omega Centauri tonight using both options ( Bias and Flat Darks )
Processed the image identically and for the life of me could not see any difference in image quality , background brightness uniformity and residual noise.
I also checked with ZWO and they advised Bias is ok for the 2600MM

I guess I’ll just keep taking Flat Darks and process both options ( Flat Darks and Bias ) for the remainder of the year. If my images don’t show any noticeable improvement using Flat Darks for the next 6 or 8 months , I’ll just go back to Bias as it’s certainly a time saver ( I’m not fully remotely automated ie: set and forget. I still take my flats etc .. in the wee hours then shut the rig down ) Always had trouble with Sky Flats

I also looked on Astrobin , Cloudy Nights , Stargazers etc… and the Flat Darks vs Bias for the 2600MM has mixed views and opinions
The Diffraction Limited report whilst super informative mentions don’t use Bias frames but it doesn’t report on what happens if you do use them or what the ramifications are to your final image compared to using Flat Darks. Maybe their logic is just simply a Mathematical equation , matching temperature and exposure time.

Martin

Last edited by Startrek; 20-04-2024 at 08:01 AM.