Thread: Old movies
View Single Post
Old 19-04-2024, 05:21 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
What is disturbing about someone who would have a world where fantacy and make believe are not considered the norm but little more than a fabricated lie?

One could hope that in a world where fantasy and make believe are seen as little more than lies that truth would not be as difficult to determine as you perhaps consider it now to be...

We have no difficulty in seeking truth (or rather specifically fact) in the Lab or the court room and there is good reason for such an approach and yet lies are tollerated if they provide entertainment in our culture...I see that as wrong and it is wrong but like so many things that being familiar are casually tolerated my notion will be considered disturbing and yet I say it is disturbing that the current situation is accepted as entirely normal.

Hope you and yours are well Hans.

alex
I am a huge fan of movies and movie scores, so I am rather concerned when people mention banning or censoring. We are living in a western world where minorities are trying to dictate how and what the majority should think and say. I am starting to fear that the V for Vendetta is now becoming reality.

Fiction is not a lie. It is a spawn of imagination and people know this. Without imagination it would be a rather boring world. In part Science Fiction inspires innovation and there are plenty examples of things born in Sci-Fi eventually becoming reality.

The problem is when you have movies that are supposedly based on a true event or person but tend to just be a persons interpretation of an event. For example, U571 whilst entertaining risks distorting history even though it tries to set the facts straight through the end credits .. who stays to watch the end credits?

I relish watching a good Sci-Fi movie like Alien, Aliens, Star Trek, Star Wars, Day the Earth Stood Still and Time Machine or a good war movie .. Saving Private Ryan, Fury, Blackhawk Down .. maybe a good mystery thriller like Da Vinci Code .. Angels and Demons .. there are many movies.