Thread: CG4 in HaLRGB
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2024, 08:57 PM
Sirius_Skies (Jacob)

CG4 in HaLRGB

The dark nebula CG4 in the constellation Puppis. This nebula’s "claim to fame" is that is resembles a worm-like creature about to devour a galaxy! (PGC21338). While very much a dark nebula, the presence of H-alpha gives the nebula a distinct red glow that only adds to the character. I recall seeing this property in another dark nebula I imaged in 2022 called LDN1622 (Boogieman nebula). With that in mind, I decided to acquire some H-alpha data, which was then blended into the broadband luminosity data to enhance some of the more H-alpha specific details.
Represented in HaLRGB.

Link to the image in Astrobin (much better resolution) https://www.astrobin.com/sg99yn/

Skywatcher 10" F4 Quattro, Tele Vue Paracorr II coma corrector, NEQ6 mount (hypertuned, belt modded), QHY268M (SGP software), QHYCFW3M (7x36mm), QHYOAG Medium, QHY5-III 178M guide camera (PHD2 guiding), Antlia 3nm H-alpha narrowband filter (36mm unmounted), Antlia RGB filters (36mm unmounted). Stacked/Registered with Deep Sky Stacker/Registar (calibration frames included), post-processing in Photoshop CC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CG4_HaLRGB_45-30cm_ISS.jpg)
181.4 KB49 views