View Single Post
Old 24-03-2024, 03:57 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

WOW, now I definitely want one, Thanks JA!

A friend had loaned me his near new Canon 5D MK IV (IIII?) and also his BIG carbon fibre tripod. I can't remember the brand, it wasn't Gitzo but similar quality and price (no longer available I believe). Fully extended I'd have needed larger than a 6' step ladder to reach, it was compact folded, very light, amazingly strong and stable. He mentioned using it while standing on the roof of a Pantec truck, legs on the ground, him on top of the truck.
Same gentleman offered me his Canon 800mm f5.6 L lens, a $20,000 lens basically new. While I was very appreciative of the offer and the level of trust I declined to take the lens and told him I'd rather meet him somewhere and play while he was there. I hated myself for my decision but it was to be used for night photography and I know how easy it is to step on a stone in the dark, twist an ankle and drop to your knees. Maybe were I in a financial position to replace it in the case of an emergency I'd have jumped at the opportunity.
I did however end up with his original 5D for 2 years till I got my D810. I purchased an adapter so my Nikon lens collection would fit his Canon (can't be done the other way so I was lucky).
It is a nice camera. I returned it with 4 new battery packs I refused to accept payment for.