View Single Post
Old 17-02-2024, 04:22 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Boot Sector Virus? Windows PC.

Folks;

Looking for advice on this one. I think I may have a "boot sector" virus on my main PC (so I'm typing on my astro laptop at the moment).

My wife told me that she'd received a "spam" e-mail from my e-mail address, and she didn't open it because it had mis-spelled her name. Considering I hadn't had to send her anything in a while, I immediately ran a virus check on my machine.

I'm using ESET antivirus (paid version) running Windows 10. I use a VPN whenever I'm online. My machine is a few years old and is 64bit, with updates regularly installed. I use Zone Alarm as a firewall. I've used EST for many years with no issues.

Whenever I turn the PC on, as soon as windows starts up I get a message from my antivirus software saying that a particular web page - always the same one - has been blocked. Hmm. Yet when I ran a full scan of my machine using the program, no virus was detected. I then ran a second scan of the machine, hand picking things like system files or the registry, again, there's apparently no virus present. However if I go online with the machine, someone from my address book gets spammed.

I got a gremlin in there somewhere.

So while I think it may be a boot sector type virus, I'm open to suggestions, as well as any recommendations as to how to go about fixing the everlastingly-to-be-damned thing.