Thread: Zwo v qhy
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2023, 10:14 AM
joshman (Josh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I disagree.

Sony make IMX455AQK-K and IMX455ALK-K mono sensors.

As I said earlier one has a ceramic LGA, the other plastic/resin.

The difference is more than marketing hype

P.S.
While Sony having different LGA substrates is odd...sensors have had different quality (read $$$) grades
for decades now.

You used to have to sell a kidney for Class 0 16803 CCD. Class 2's were a haircut at best.
Not much has changed.
My initial statement still stands true though, only the IMX455 and IMX461 have consumer grade monochrome sensor packages available from Sony. All other mono sensor packages from Sony are industrial grade.

I do like that QHY are specifying that they're sourcing the industrial grade for their cameras, but from what i can tell based on the available literature directly from Sony, if your camera is mono, and not the 455 or 461, then you have an industrial grade sensor. If you have a colour sensor, then you most likely have a consumer grade sensor. Sony don't list many RGB industrial sensors.

As for sensor grading... I don't know how you would determine that. I can't see anything in the Sony literature that i've been able to find that goes into any depth on that. Mind you, i'm an outsider looking in; I'm sure that if i were in a position to be sourcing sensors for a product, then i would have access to a lot more options and data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
QQHY versus ZWO. I have used both. Both are good.

QHY states a tolerance for orthogonality of their sensor. ZWO does not and I have read several complaints on Cloudy Nights about the difficulties with tilt from ZWO cameras.

QHY also has better banding suppression.

The big one though is the muiltiple readout modes for some of their cameras.

That is really so you can set it up for low noise but less dynamic range for narrowband or large full well depth for objects with bright cores/stars.
You can optimise it for regular LRGB imaging where you want high dynamic range, low noise and good well depth.

The industrial grade sensor is a bonus which may well mean longer life of the sensor.

QHY seems a bit more innovative and comes out with improvements to the firmware.

Greg.
I like that QHY state their orthogonality tolerance, and i'd be interested to know how their real world samples sit within their stated tolerance.

I take a lot of the tilt issues on CN with a few grains of salt. There are much more prominent points in an imaging train that can introduce tilt, and everyone is too quick to immediately blame the camera.

I'm not familiar with how QHY handles the firmware side of things, nor the improvements or innovations that they're making to them. But the by far the most consistent complaint I have seen with QHY is their drivers. And this has steered me away from them; hardware issues like tilt is easily rectifiable in the field by the end user, but driver issues are (usually) a show stopper. The ZWO cameras have always been consistent performers (for me).

I'd be interested in knowing about the better banding suppression in the QHY cameras.