View Single Post
Old 30-10-2023, 07:38 PM
Lister5

Thanks Jeff. I think I've got the collimation sorted enough for the moment using a Cheshire eyepiece. Everything lined up well with just some minor adjustments to the secondary and primary needed. I wasn't sure about a laser collimator as I've found bore sighting with laser tools to be sometimes frustrating.

I had figured it might be best to leave the cleaning for the moment. There really isn't a lot of dust visible and there's no marks or smudges I can see.

I haven't had a chance to play with the new eyepieces yet, but you raised an interesting point about the aperture size. Am I being a bit optimistic for planetary viewing at 150mm? I know it's only F5: so not enormously fast (I'm contrasting with my prime SLR lenses at as low as 1.4), but is it a question of the amount of light, magnification or both? I honestly landed on 150mm as it seemed like a reasonably portable size with a good mount. I'll be the first to admit I'm not all over the differences in terminology and effect. I do know I prefer larger objectives on my rifle scopes, binoculars and spotting scope, but they are all variable zoom, so a different game again