Thread: New observatory
View Single Post
Old 29-03-2023, 11:18 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.D View Post
Hi Alex get well soon mate and get plenty of rest ,I have been told that Bundy rum will fix anything.The camera you are having trouble with ,have you tried running through a powered hub,get well mate
Ian
Hi Ian thank for the excellent advice but I have trouble walking straight and staying upright so the rum may be counter productive unless I drink enough to imobilise me and leave me safe in bed..that could just work.

I have a list of things to do observatory wise and the powered hub will get a run but I am planning to order fancy new USB cables for all units..a daunting prospect financially...everything is now times four dollar wise and that has bitten me badly...

But I have said it many times and I have paid the price for not heeding my advice..do not borrow from one rig to get another working..if a rig goes down do not borrow as the disease only starts spreading..and now nothing works..although the roof does thank goodness...what a journey that was.

But I will start on rig number one..the RASA ..it's dummy spit was guiding..A reboot should fix that..if not I will work on it until I fix it..it was working perfect one night then went bats.. wasps even ??? Cables?? Slipping clutch...

Then the 80mm which also was perfect but I borrowed it's guide camera and as it is narrow band and I can run short exposures it really becomes a delight with 120 sec plus guided subs...so have to re focus etc.

Next the 115 mm...which became the main camera donner but it should be ok as it has its camera back ..maybe some back focus issues but we shall see..plus I think I borrowed its guide camera..but you can see how thing get out of hand.

The new rig ..mmm..guide camera (cameras as I bought a second one as said earlier out of desparation) needs to work ...next is collmination but I now have a tool so that should all work out...back focus even now seems ok..tilt maybe..but the focuser may be a challenge...in any event I will keep at it..the new mount works just fine but I sure would like some real subs to assess this mount and OAG as I have never used OAG...and getting used to them I believe can be hair pulling

The new Askar 130 is available but until I get eight inch working and can have some indication that death has backed off the Askar is off the table...which is ironic as I put in this new pier and bought all the gear in expectation of the Askar..mount cameras, oag, filter wheel, filters all for the Askar 130 that may now be the only missing bit..but the eight inch is a great scope and I have bought all the materials to provided it with its own baffled dew tube..something that really improves things (actual my engineers testing shows up to 10% on an 80mm) and it has various areas that can be improved to make it great..its just that the Askar caught my eye...the eight should be comparable as it is 1000mm f/L and I planned to run native with the Askar130 at 1000 mm...maybe wait see if I have any future left and go for a 9.25 Celestron instead hopefully having either come to grips with OAG or not...and dependant on how the new harmonic mount promises guiding for that longer F/L...

AND of course there is still room for one more pier if the decision need be made..but unless assistant can do it I shall not risk a back problem...lifting the cement could have started the back problem but it scared me to be sensible from here on...

I just want one night with the roof opening while I push the remote button to open from the flash chair in front of the flash new all powerful computer set and driving all scopes via that computer and Asiair plus with controls on one screen and photos rolling thru on the other..with an internal display monitoring the scopes by my security cameras on either my tablet or lap top...more than using it just once will be a bonus...

That is why these health interruptions are just so annoying as I have a great deal to do to pull all this together...

Anyways at least pour yourself a Rum and drink to my health..as many as you can if you think it could help... perhaps see if my idea about its ability to imobilise has merit.
Alex