Thread: New observatory
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2022, 08:13 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Hi Alex hope alls well

How do you find those green insulation panels you have in the roof do they help, I think they are around 30mm thick is that correct, I was planning to use those or something thicker for the roof. The walls will be insulated using pink batts. I plan using gyprock for internal walls instead of ply but will use ply for the floor

Regards

Trevor
I would find them in Bunnings next to the timber section. Not sure of the width but can tell you it varies so if you decide to buy some get as many as you need in one go to avoid finding the size has changed between orders..I think I got caught with a colour change but you see being colour blind it really doesn't bother me.

I think they work very well but I did not do before and after tests.

What I did notice recently was the temperature in the observatory was 2 degrees less than in the van around mid day... but the observatory has ventilation and the van has none.

However the van is under a tree but the observatory is not under a tree...it made sense to put it out in the open.

I would like to have the observatory professionally linnedwith ply but the guy who can do it is booked solid for 12 months..I don't plan that far ahead.

There is a substantial saving in going for gyprock but a decent ply would be nice...the reason I say that is that with a little imagination you can add strips of timber to make it look like a flash panelled room that you would expect to find the Brittish Admiralty meeting to discuss sending Captain James Cook to discover Australia.

Lining all surfaces with mirrors is worth thinking about but not doing.

I really enjoy following your progress ...I get so much joy watching folk realise their dreams. Thank you for taking the time to keep us informed on your progress.

Alex