Thread: New observatory
View Single Post
Old 28-11-2022, 12:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Ok... the next thing to do...the roof I conclude can not be automated while I stick with the current system which has two 4wd winch set ups one to pull on one side..the cables just have problems..a pulley winch system I could not make work and I tried different cable and rope..added stuff to get traction...wasted weeks..same with trying to run dual drum set up..multiple attempts making fittings from this and that but no joy.. the problem comes from the cable winding on and off and the diameter changing..so it goes tight on side slack the other..hair pulling stuff with no solution.

A good friend pointed out a set up offered by Bunnings to automate a gate...now at first I thought they probably would be not strong enough as the tracks are nylon... anyways I found the manufacturer https://www.richmondau.com/product/d...on-kit-gtr156/ and
have emailed them for a price on their biggest unit...but looking at the roof actual fitting won't be easy..unless I can mount the drive motors upside down...I have asked them...the other option is to mount a beam hanging from the apex of the roof and at first I thought I was crazy to even think such a thing but it seems sheer brilliance now that I think of the various advantages...as I will need only one motor and the system will be much better balanced.

Also these units comes with a remote control and have switches that prevents disasters so that means I don't need to figure out how to adapt an Arduino which I expect would be hair pulling fun for me...

Recently I opted out three different nights because I feared cloud..one night it did not come..disappointing but if I can get this latest improvement working I would have no fear of opening simply because it would be easy both to open and close..while in bed even...the current set up is such a pain..you have to stop and rewind unwind relocate the hooks etc....and for me it is dangerous just walking about in such a mess trying not to bump scopes and balance myself without grabbing stuff...

So I made this post to drive me forward...get it done or be laughed off the forum...my credibility is on the line so I have no option but to deliver...plus I feel my efforts will be of help for others ..of course that is my main motivation..helping others my main game..

If anyone has any experience with the units that I am talking about or can link to something I would be most grateful.
Alex

So nothing has actually been done but I am hoping...to get this roof