View Single Post
Old 14-06-2022, 08:47 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
This whole thread reads as a master class in how to do it right - so much care, consideration and great planning.

Curious your PC choice is a I7 with only 8 GB of RAM - I would have imagined 16 would be the minimum to run on? I keep my basic observatory controlled with an I7 and 16 GB RAM works pretty fine - but the image processing thing in the house is more of a beast - 8 core, water cooled, 64GB RAM 2 NVME drives and 4 SSDs and about 30 TB of storage.

A small hint - if you are running I presume CAT6E cable to your dome - then run two! If anything every goes wrong with one cable it is great to have redundancy on hand and costs very little! I ran power and cable rather separately - and used an Online UPS to power everything with its always filtered power, but I am a novice in power supply management - we are all on grid at home. Will you add a dehumidifier too?

And my goodness but your views - are to die for!!!

I am very curious about the software set used to control the gear in the dome versus image Processing - as there are so many options - how do you select the best amongst The SkyX, MaximDL, PHD2, CCDWare, N.I.N.A., SGP, ACP just to mention a few... All are viable candidates - but from your vast experience with your gear - what do you find will be the winners for you?
The PC in the dome will only be doing mount pointing, dome and camera control, so I think (hope ) it will cope, I had been using an i3 running W7 lappie previously but just for camera control, processing will be done on another unit

Yep, plan to run 2 X Cat6 cables but I was wondering if they should share the same 90mm PVC conduit with the power lead or not, hmm?

Still to work out exactly what software will be doing everything

MIke