View Single Post
Old 11-06-2022, 08:57 PM
hunty (Rob)
Scubayorp

Feeding live view from scope to big screen

Hi folks,
AP is not my 'thang' but outreach stargazing is.
My current opportunity involves connecting a camera to my 14" Go-To Dob and having the live image sent to a cinema screen for outdoor viewing while I control scope from a distance (within a few meters). I'm not interested in recording or taking pics - just a live view for me and the audience to look at while I yabber on about the sky.
I am trying to get my head around the tech lingo and AP concepts but my search for clear answers is being muddied by conflicting 'knowledge' from the various sources.
I'm asking here, for plain English advice.
So far, I have a matched dongle for remote control of the scope (SynScan Pro for the Skywatcher) from my iPad. All good.
The camera has been an issue. My old Pentax K-30 cannot output its live view. So I bought a ZWO ASI astronomy camera but it doesn't like talking to my Mac (they're optimised for Windows!).
I now have an older Sony a5000 mirrorless camera that can do WiFi and HDMI out. It's native is Android but seems to accept my iPad, iPhone and Mac.
I'm thinking I'll send the camera feed to my Mac (sitting with the scope) and then HDMI out from the Mac, to the cinema system. I'll probs need to also control the Mac screen with my iPad.
I've drilled holes in the trusses of the collapsible scope so I can play with getting the focal plane to land on the Sony's CMOS sensor.
Am I on the right track?
Is it now 'just' a matter of getting the focus, WiFi and software all talking together?