View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 08:24 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I have the 2600MC which has similar performance specs to the 533MC ( 2600MC has slightly less read noise at Gain 0 ) I’ve imaged using both Gain 0 ( highest dynamic range) and Gain 100 ( lowest read noise ) and found in most cases Gain 0 HDR works best for me for both Broadband and Narrowband. Gain 100 does have a lower read noise but doesn’t take advantage of close to full well capacity.
Using Gain 0 does require a lot more data and longer subs as your taking advantage of full well capacity ( nearly 50k )
Also with the 2600MC there’s no need to take Darks as the dark current when camera is cooled to -10C is negligible ( I just take Flats and calibrate them with Bias frames ) I don’t know what the dark current is for the 533MC at say -10c ??
In regard to imaging the Horsehead , capture plenty of good data ( at least 3 to 4 hours or more ) , try Gain 0 highest dynamic range, cool your camera to -10 C , take at least 3 to 5 minute subs and most importantly “dither” each sub to eliminate fixed pattern noise
You do have a slower scope which doesn’t help on this object but plenty of data should fix that
Good luck
Cheers
Martin