View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 02:36 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi guys 'n' gals,
This is just a FWIW post re; WIN7 & those who choose to run AVAST.
My specs are...
WIN7 HP, 32 bit, 4 Gig DDR3 RAM, CPU Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, "C" drive = Seagate 500 Gig Sata HDD, ATI/AMD Radeon 1024 Meg 5450 graphics card, ASUS 19" monitor running at 1440 x 900 Pix

I used to run AVAST free for many, many years but noticed that my desk top PC was getting rather slow to initially load & also to shut down.
Programs were slow to load as well.

PLUS, I got sick & tired of all their damn pop-ups wanting me to buy this New feature. No thanks!

I decided to remove AVAST about 4 weeks ago, using their AVAST CLEAR tool & did so by starting the PC in Safe Mode & then running their tool.

The normal Window's Un-install procedure from Program & Features will not remove all the AVAST garbage.
Neither will their tool.

There's always crap left over.

All in all, it took me about 2 or 3 hours to remove most, if not all, that I could find in the registry, Program files, Program Data & a few other directories....

After a couple of cold starts to check/search a few other places, my PC now runs a hell of a lot quicker. Start up is noticeably quicker as is the shut down time.
Programs that used to take ages to start now are almost, not quite, but almost instantly available.
I do run a stack of old/er programs that will NOT run on WIN10.

I now just run the built-in Window's Defender which works fine, along with a couple of other free anti-malware, anti-spyware programs that I keep updated & run about once per week.
The free COMODO firewall also runs in the back ground & keeps check of all
"Ins 'n' Outs", just like a good firewall should.

NOTE: I use ACRONIS TI & do weekly back-ups of my C drive.

So, if your WIN7 M/C is showing it's age in any way, then I suggest that you try
un-installing AVAST ASAP.
It's just an AV program, NOT an "Out-of-date" program checker, Password Manager, Safe Browser? or anything else "they" chuck in their damn free program.

Good riddance I say.

Anyway, your choice but beware, because they also own AVG & now AVIRA have joined the clan.

Stay safe out there.

Regs, Laurie..