View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 07:45 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Ryan,
Thanks for your comments and personal experiences
I think the main thing to consider in guiding is not the overall guiding number ( anything under an arc sec will give you round stars with 5 minute subs ) but whether you have any noticeable periodic error or unusual excursions in Dec or Ra possibly caused by ( mechanical) backlash ( not atmospheric disturbances affecting your guide Star )
My mounts can hum along nicely for half an hour or so with Ra slightly higher than Dec , guiding around 0.70 total and all of a sudden a big 1.5 to 2 arc sec excursion in Ra occurs which results in a slightly bloated stars in that particular frame. I know it’s not PE as it doesn’t occur repeatedly every 6 to 8 minutes through each worm cycle , it’s random and not re occurring, more likely atmospheric dispersion as the guide stars SNR drops a bit when it happens and in the PHD2 star profile tool , the red bullseye dot moves off the reticle quite a bit
Whether doing a Hyper Tune on my EQ6-R mount will reduce the affect of any Ra spikes caused by atmospheric distortion or disturbance is something I’d like to get some advice on
Maybe one other benefit of a Hyper Tune could be quicker guiding recovery after a dither, my mount only takes 10 to 15 sec to fully recover from a 4 to 6 pixel dither which is not too bad. I heard of folk waiting 20 to 30 sec to recover from a dither
Cheers
Martin