View Single Post
Old 29-07-2021, 01:18 PM
EvolutionaryPS (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Paul,
I forgot to tell you about Stellarium
Download Stellarium which is a fantastic planetarium ( it’s free ) and it gives you a roadmap of the night sky 24/7 and will show you how all celestial objects move across out night sky. You can change it’s clock back or forward to see what’s coming up weeks later. Very user friendly and can be used a Goto for telescope control ( Ive been using it for 4 years to co tell my telescopes in AP )
It has many useful tools for visual as well , like ocular fields of view etc..,
Attached is a quick procedure for Stellarium I put together a while back
All the best
Cheers
Martin
Thanks Martin, I have been a long time user of the old fashioned planisphere which I have had since the 80s. I have also used Star Walk 2 and SkyView Free and more recently looked at SkySafari and SkyPortal. I'll have a look at Setllarium. I trust you use it in preference to SkySafari and SkyPortal as it is better for you? My concern with a Table top scope is what I would put it on that I don't have vibration through the scope so that what I see continually shakes which I did experience in the 80s with a cheap and nasty scope we had when I was a kid. It was literally the hobby killer with no finder scope and I suspect has other issues also as it was picked up free some where.
So perhaps an SCT is a better option for portability and aperture size and not having to worry about what I stand the table top on.
Regards Paul

Last edited by EvolutionaryPS; 29-07-2021 at 03:35 PM.