View Single Post
Old 15-06-2020, 10:34 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I think there might be different interpretations of what "worms" is referring too

The pseudo detail, or dots and worms, that I have been known to bang on about appear in the medium to high signal areas, where the filter used (decon/wavelets etc) compress any hint of feature or structure, into thin unnatural looking bright curves and wavy lines, ...
Sorry Mike, my thought bubbles and comments didn't cover that - linear / crushed / merged detail in high signal areas. The worm-like artefacts I see and was mostly talking about are normally in low signal areas. See first example below.

The easiest way to reproduce the worms you're describing is using the minimum filter in PS (mainly used during star size reduction without masking) - see grossly exaggerated example below. I'm sure other software uses a similar mechanism.

Worms are NOT easily created using Wavelet sharpening - I've just tried and failed using gross Astra Image wavelet on a couple of my images. Decon and contrast enhancement can produce worm-like structures by virtue of the fact that they, when used in a ham fisted way, create bright blobs that may merge with other nearby bright areas to form a linear feature (per Allan's example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
... or make all or much of the detail in galaxies, appear as uniform circular dots
Nope, that's more likely gross noise mitigation via smoothing. Minimum filter can also do that.

Cheers, Marcus
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Worms.jpg)
169.4 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (Worms2.jpg)
54.6 KB54 views