View Single Post
Old 23-04-2020, 11:35 AM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Pi4 with Stellarmate (or similar), ASIAir Pro, NUC - which way to go?

Hi all,

I cant decide between the below and wondering how your experience with any of these has been. Are any easier to use in the field than another? ASCOM vs INDI equally reliable? Power draw, reliability, software, easy of use, grin factor are all things im interested in.

1. Raspberry Pi 4 with Stellarmate, Indigo Sky, Astroberry
2. ASIAir Pro
3. Mini PC like a NUC
4. Laptop is ruled out. Id rather not get a laptop if i can avoid it.

Right now I have a Fuji X-T2 which def is not supported by ASIAir Pro, or Astro Photography Tool, or Sequence Generator Pro. The only thing that does support it Entangle (for GPhoto2 for the Pi4 option).

I also am guessing the NUC might be overkill for what i actually need out there as ill bring home the images to process on a beefier machine, but would Windows software be more reliable for guiding software, meridian flips, etc?

Power draw is another factor, the NUC would draw more power id wager. I have a 42000mAh/3.7V (155Wh) portable battery with 12V DC outputs, and a 240V 100W AC output.

The Guide Camera will be a ZWO camera, so if i do go the ASIAir route, i can use an intervalometer for the Fuji shooting and use the ASIAir for Guiding.

There are a lot of factors at play here, but really, what do you use and how happy are you with it? Thanks!