Thread: ZWO versus QHY
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 11:47 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I can only comment on ZWO and only on the one camera, an ASI294MC Pro whigh I have been using for about a year.

The build quality seems OK to me, the only issue I have had with it at all has been a little moisture creeping in which I have not yet resolved by baking the dessicant. I am going to try again soon or maybe even get a dessicating cabinet and open the sensor chamber up for a while inside it. It has not troubled me in imaging but as it first cools you get a tiny bit of frosting on the sensor which then disappears over time. Imaging wise it has never proven a problem but if you jump in, cool the cam and go to shoot some flats it has been an issue.

The drivers have been dead stable since I have had it.

The only critique I would put on it from a mechanical standpoint is that with an M42 threaded connection it is obviously aimed at the lower end of the market where other cameras have screw threads in the mounting faces to allow for a solid connection to a guider or filter wheel without messing with spacers to try to get the orientation "just so" The new and dearer cams seem to be addressing that.

I am happy enough with it to consider a new ASI2600 or if the budget stretches, a 6200.