View Single Post
Old 22-04-2017, 03:05 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

I don't know that scope but something like a RDF can help a lot. But you can even tape on a small tube, maybe a roll from the bathroom as a first approximation. Tape it on and get it aligned so that when you have something centered in the eyepiece it is centered in the tube. Remember you align the finder to the scope, not the other way around.

Daytime Activity

Spend time during the day getting the finder aligned with the scope. Read the manual. Use a distant target. 100 feet is way too close. 1/2 KM away minimum. I like to use phone or power poles and target in on the cross arm.

How to align a finder scope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3zGgrY7sK8

Test the scope with each eyepiece. Focus on distant things. Get used to the fact that the image is inverted. Figure out how to move around with that reversed image. Do this during the day.

Find a branch or a bird or something that has lots of detail. Use your target tube/RDF/Finder scope, then low power then high power to see how much detail you can get. If you have a barlow, use it to get closer.

Notice how well the image is in the center vs. the edge. There may be some loss of sharpness at the edge. A little, or only the outer 10% is fine. If you start to lose significant sharpness during the day any more than that then there might be a collimation issue or some other issue. A lot depends on the type of eyepieces you are using.

(Eyepiece Designs - This is the one I turn to when I am trying to understand or explain the differences between the various designs.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/common_eyepiece_designs.htm)

Take note of the difference in field of view between your eyepieces.

Move from one target to another and get used to finding and refocusing.

Finding and tracking during the day

A very very high jet is perfect. A bird will be too fast.

Use your finder scope to get that Jet in the FOV. Now, using the longer FL, higher number, eyepiece try to pick it up in the eyepiece. You might have to lead it a bit to account for moving from the finder to the eyepiece. Let it fly into the FOV. This will also test how well your finder and your eyepiece are aligned.

Now track that jet with the low power eyepiece. How much detail can you see? How long does it stay in view?

Now do the same with the high power, shorter FL eyepiece. Note it will be a little harder to keep it centered as the FOV is now much smaller. Stars and planets move slower than that jet so they will be easier to track.

All of this will be valuable training for the night time. These are the same skills you will need but they will feel easier during the day. When it is dark you will already be used to doing these things.