View Single Post
Old 29-12-2016, 10:16 AM
FourOwls

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Hi Andrew,

I'm also in the Logan area, on a hill (neighbours?), and in my experience a 5-6mm eyepiece is about the limit of magnification on a 10" dob you could use before the image quality starts to decline pretty rapidly. With this you should still see good detail on Jupiter and some banding on Saturn in good conditions. The lower power eyepieces will also give you good views of DSO's, although if you're anywhere near the logan motorway/pacific highway, investment in a decent OIII/NB filter will help a lot with nebulae.
Hi Patrick
I live in Cornubia and it is not too bad as far as light pollution goes! I am (secretly) eyeing off a 16" Dob and may move on my 10" but we'll see how that goes! THanks for getting back to me and I appreciate the advice! I will look into the OIII/NB filter (do you recommend any?). One day, we should catch up as we live not far from each other! I am not far from the Logan Hyperdumb......Hey quick question, would a 10" dob with quality eyepieces be better than a 16" telescope...if I have the chance to get one cheap enough is the size (it will stay put in my backyard) worth it??
Regards
Andrew H