View Single Post
Old 18-12-2016, 08:02 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

What is "Stretching"?

Hi all,

A simple post processing question...

I've seen it mentioned many time in procedures, books and videos, but have yet to see anything that actually describes what stretching is or how to do it.

Am I correct in interpreting the talk, with the motions seen in videos, that stretching is simply the levels and curve adjustments. And the term comes from the visual observation of the histogram, and how it seems to get "stretched" as you make the "right" adjustments in a "properly" exposed set of images?

BTW, I absolutely hate post processing but realise that it is the only way to get anything recognisable, to put in a scrap book or journal, so bear with me while I struggle and ask questions for clarification. I have Chris Woodhouse' book on astrophotography, The Backyard Astronomers Guide, and have read most everything suggested here on the forums, which mostly deal in the more costly side of imaging by referencing the paid programs like Nebulosity, Pixinsight, Photoshop, etc. Which is great when you have them. If you don't, you are left the onerous task of interpreting and translating the descriptions to the application you are using and I'm sure I'm not the only person who has noticed that not every application uses the same set of consistent terms, descriptions, or processes.

Apologies, end of rant... thanks for reading and answering!