View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 05:58 PM
kens (Ken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Yesterday I printed out Rob Horvat's tutorials and put it in plastic sleeves but I don't have any other printed material. I have been using Stellarium on my laptop and recently my phone along with an app called Skyeye to find interesting things to try and search for with my scope. Then if I find it with the scope, I look it up on wikipedia for some background information. Apart from the open clusters, I have more luck with the globular clusters and the brightest and largest nebulae than anything else and am yet to see a planetary or a galaxy.
You may already be doing this but just in case: Make sure you are protecting your night vision or you have almost no hope of seeing the faint fuzzies. Use only a dim red light to read by, cover the monitor with red plastic and turn the brightness down and use it only if you absolutely have to. Use an eyepatch as suggested and cover your viewing eye with it when not viewing.
You need to protect the rhodopsin (aka visual purple) in your retinal rods to see faint objects
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodopsin