Thread: Mapping my view
View Single Post
Old 23-02-2016, 07:14 PM
aarong (Aaron)

You can take a panorama of your backyard and use it sky safari.
Details here: http://www.southernstars.com/support/faq/skysafari.html see point 24.

I used Google photo sphere, part of the google camera app and created a photosphere of the back yard with my smart phone. Make the sky transparent and save in the proper file format and folder in the above link. Works well. Mine is a little out, but close enough for planning what I'm going to be observing/photographing.

I can't find the link I followed. It might have been in the yahoo group. I'll post it if I find it.

What direction you start taking the panorama matters and it can differ based on how the app or program stitches the photo together. Nth has to be the left edge of the photo.

edit: I found the link in the southern skies yahoo group. It doesn't say too much more, other than the Google camera app and photosphere create a panorama that has the right dimensions for Sky Safari. Once a member, search for "Sky safari for android - custom panorama hint using photosphere". If you can get the Google camera app or photosphere on an iphone/tab, then I don't see why this wouldn't work for you.

Last edited by aarong; 23-02-2016 at 07:55 PM.