View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Hmmm, very interesting .
Anything in particular I can shed some light on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Well thats an interesting list.
I dont hear much about the EQ8, Lees comment is interesting...
ASA DDM, some reviews on the net are good, but I wouldnt trust them, some members here (and others) have horror stories on support and build quality generally.
Ah, that's interesting. I haven't spoke to anyone with an ASA mount, that's a shame, they seemed like they had a lot of potential, and given the price I'd hoped they'd pull it off.

You can probably take my comment about the EQ8 with a grain of salt really, it's the closest thing to a premium mount that I've owned. I honestly just felt like it was a big EQ6 though, which is why I sold it: I didn't think it did much that the EQ6 didn't do, if I didn't want a big payload, which I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
A good thing about Avalon Linear, for current owners of an EQ6 mount that is, is that it can be mounted on a standard EQ6 tripod: http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum...p?f=78&t=21252
Yeah, that's very handy for me. As far as I can tell, they've addressed every issue I had with the EQ6: worm gear requiring significant tweaking to get the mesh right is now gone, no backlash (!!), the altitude adjustment is now apparently very smooth, the retractable counterweight shaft that's prone to flex is gone, even the home markings line up directly so it's easier to tell when you've got it in the correct position.

I'm sure I'll find some fault with it after I get it, but I'm yet to hear a bad report and from a distance it looks great for my needs.