View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Very gracious offer, but considering I know I would never afford one (with pure conscience anyway, considering how infrequently I image), I will decline. Thanks all the same.
You're most welcome. The offer remains open if you have a change of heart at some point.

If you can eliminate flexure completely, using a guide scope of the same or similar focal length to the main scope should theoretically give you exactly the same results as the OAG, minus the star choice limitations.

I don't know how much your FSQ weighs, but one thing to consider would be whether the weight of a second scope of around that focal length would negatively impact the good guiding you are currently getting on that mount. By the looks of it, the combination of your current auto-guiding setup and the custom tweaks you have implemented is really getting the most out of your mount hardware.

But as others have pointed out, OAG is king for a flexure-free setup.

MMOAG is probably the only other option but at $875 USD as new the baseline model (minus any adapters/spacers which might be needed), you might as well consider ONAG which about $30 cheaper and has NIR guiding and Sharplock to boot.

Whichever way you go I hope you find a solution which yields some improvement.