View Single Post
Old 13-09-2015, 10:27 AM
glend (Glen)

Well I gave it a go - removing the Low Pass 1 (AA) filter on my 450D (that already had the blue cast filter removed. Prior to removal of the AA filter the camera had worked perfectly for six months with no issues at all - I mention this because of what follows.

Taking Merlin's advice I removed the AA filter, not just the glass but the filter (filter frame which the glass is bonded to, and the little ribbon cable attached to activate the Cleaning shake), I left the black plastic frame in place so that the same aperture to the sensor was kept.

First test subs through the RC08 revealed strong colour blooms on the lower left of the frame in every shot, which people suggested was AMP Glow or light leaks. I researched Amp Glow on the 450D and found it doesn't have any and then looked at light leaks. I put the camera in a black bag thinking that maybe I had created a leak when I last disassembled but the colour bloom was still there. I then looked inside the RC08 and found there was a potential for light to enter via the focuser collimation ring, taped that up and reshot. Colour bloom still there. At this point I figured it was coming from inside the camera, and did some test shots with my other 450D and they were perfect.
Tore down the camera again looking for mistakes in the last assembly, there were none. I replaced the AA filter, and reassembled. Testing last night showed the camera is back to perfection - no colour bloom in any shot and subs of over seven minutes show no evidence of light leaks or bloom. I can only conclude that the AA filter, its frame, circuit etc, had something to do with the colour bloom - as strange as that may seem to some. So I am leaving the AA in place. As Merlin's spec study showed, the cutoff points for the AA are almost exactly the same as the Baader UV/IR Cut filter that is used on many full spectrum mods (and which I run on the front of my T-Adaptor anyway) so I am not losing anything other than the fringe frequencies which I don't want anyway.

For me it was a learning experience, and I cannot recommend anyone remove the AA filter from a 450D (which is exactly Gary Honis' conclusion). Sure the theory is that it gets you marginally sharper pixels due to the light smear effect of the AA construction but even close zoom examination of my test images (ignoring the bloom regions) failed to see much, if any, difference in pixel resolution.