Thread: CCD vs dSLR
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 05:48 PM
alistairsam

hi,

There is also the difference in the image format

DSLR's are usually 12bit or 14 bit, OSC's are 16bit. the difference does allow for a greater range in shades of grey or colour.
I found I could stretch my qhy8 images much more than the dslr images.
just my experience though.

Cooling - the QHY8 has a dual stage peltier that can easily hit -30C.
This is a significant advantage over peltier cooled dslr's that can also be cooled but reaching these temperatures pose significant challenges due to physical constraints and condensation and add a lot of bulk, usually are not regulated but you can add regulated cooling.
the qhy8 has unregulated cooling but I think you can use the DC201 power supply and get regulated cooling.

if its a whole body replacement like the CDS cooled dslr's then results should be similar as they can cool pretty well.

As for mono vs colour and the Bayer matrix, that has been covered several times here, but mono provide greater flexibility with narrowband imaging which is a huge advantage if you want to do narrowband.

Another minor difference - batteries with the dslr's vs dedicated power supplies for ccd's, of course you can get an adaptor for the dslr, but then...

finally, backfocus.
if you want to add a filterwheel, OAG etc, the dslr's are very limited as they already take up 45mm to the ccd, whereas ccd's are usually 15 to 20mm.
this is important if you use a coma corrector, reducer etc where the backfocus is typically 55mm to the CCD and you want to use an OAG and filterwheel.

Again, solutions are to get a zero profile bayonet to T2 and a slim OAG, filterwheel would be pointless.

I'm very tempted to get a QHY8 and remove the CFA but then that's another story!!.

Cheers
Alistair