Thread: Viewing Mars
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Robh (Rob)

Hi Guys,

Mars can vary anywhere in size between 3.5" and 25.1". It appears largest near opposition, where the Earth is between Mars and the Sun. Right now, it is roughly 15" in diameter. For the 2016 opposition, it will be about 18" and for the 2018 opposition 24".

I have observed Mars a few times over the last month. The north polar ice cap was easily visible and at different times I have observed Syrtis Major and Acidalia Planitia, both large dark features on the surface of the planet. These observations were in my 12" Dob and also the 30" scope at Linden. In general, the features are easier to pick up in the 30" but I have had some sharp views in the 12" at 200x where the seeing was very good. You need magnification and very good seeing.

With Mars' axial tilt and current position, you cannot see both poles. The north polar cap is visible, the south polar cap is not. Earlier in April, I saw some ice cloud over Hellas Crater to the south. Maybe you are seeing some ice cloud.

The attached images are screen clips from SkySafari for Mars A (Apr 2 10pm) and Mars B (May 1 10pm). Mars A shows north polar ice cap at bottom, the large dark region Syrtis Major towards top and at top Hellas crater. Mars B shows the north polar ice cap at bottom and directly above it the dark region Acidalia Planitia.

Regards, Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mars A.jpg)
56.9 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (Mars B.jpg)
55.2 KB26 views