View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
I suspect Rick has had lots more experience with this Greg, but in PI at least if you have your unbinned lum extracted from RGB and your original lum, you can integrate them together and PI will proportionally use more of the image with less noise (generally the original lum). I found I got a bit more SNR in the end.

There are posts on the PI forums worth checking out from memory.
Ray mentioned the preferred PI technique above, Rob, but only briefly. If you throw your L, R, G, B masters into ImageIntegration with an average combine and noise evaluation it will weight them based on SNR and integrate them into a Lum+Syn Lum with (hopefully) better SNR than the original Luminance. In my experience it is usually worthwhile. I even did a L+R+G+B+Ha+OIII+SII a little while back and got a really nice low noise super Lum from it.

The nice thing about PI is that you can actually compare the SNR of your results numerically and decide what works and what doesn't even if the difference is subtle visually. Add up a few subtle differences and all of a sudden you can see the improvement