PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion M42 from ASV LMDSS

John K
19-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi guys,

Been a while since I posted and this could even be in the Beginners forumn.

Seeing that there is very little to aim at on the planerary side of things at the moment, and even though I almost not dare post here seeing the amazing deep sky photos that you all post, I have dared to actually try my hand again at Deep Sky imaging and slowly get my 12.5" reflector rig to actually work. Not there yet and a long way to go.

Arrived at the ASV LMDSS Heathcote property last Sunday arvo after an absence of nearly 15 years and was amazed at the luxury of electricity, bunk beds, a kitchen, showers, piers etc. Shame about the light pollution from Bendigo which dominates the Western sky, but still good dark sky East, North and high overhead and very close to Melbourne. Previously had been driving 3 hrs to Terrick Terrick NP which has super dark skies but no electricity etc etc.

Attached is M42, approximately 14 mins at ISO800 with my trusty old 400D (yes, I still have one of those!) with a stack of images lasting up to 300 seconds each and equivelant darks. Guided with a short focus 80mm refractor and SPC900 webcam. Processed in DSS, Registax 6 and CS3.

Deep sky stuff is defenitely way harder than planetary imaging, so well done to all of you on the amazing images you post here!

Clear skies.

John K.

Larryp
19-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Nice image, John!

Ross G
19-10-2012, 09:34 PM
A good looking photo John.

Very nice colours.

Good luck with the comeback.

Ross.

Phil Hart
19-10-2012, 10:32 PM
great that you got up to LMDSS after a long break John.

zodiacal light is strong in the west this time of year too.. hope you managed to disentangle how much of the sky glow was bendigo vs zodiacal light. would be nice if bendigo wasn't there though!

cheers
Phil

John K
20-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks Gents,

Hi Phil,

Really enjoyed getting up to Heathcote after all these years and you will defenitely see me up there again next new moon. Just have to shoot things in the north and East and overhead and away from Bendigo.

Slight re-process attached, and amazed at what 14 mins on M42 with an old DSLR can bring out on this amazing object.

jjjnettie
20-10-2012, 05:15 PM
You've given it such luminous colours, I like it. :)