PDA

View Full Version here: : Giddyup!

LewisM
14-10-2012, 07:11 PM
My first attempt ever at the Horsehead nebula. Hard to believe sometimes, but this is a SINGLE exposure, ISO 600, 4 minutes. The night last night was SUPERB again - I was out till dawn! Gorgeous pre-dawn, with Jupiter high west, Venus mid east, and a thin crescent Luna... plus first time I have ever seen Crux go through it's full rotation, rising again south east, and allowing me to do a quick set on the Eta Carinae complex (which is ALWAYS blocked in my usual spot due to trees for the early evening)

Anyway, yes, still some noise (no darks etc subtracted - this is straight out of the camera with only some levels/brightness & contrast tweaking). My trusty ED80 refractor... refractors and me are matches made in the heavens, literally!

May stack this single with the darks and flats and see the difference. Noise exacerbated here by posting a jpeg :P

Of course, a cropped shot, but that goes without saying ;)

Larryp
14-10-2012, 07:12 PM
You're going great guns, Lewis!:thumbsup:

LewisM
14-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Determined is a better word... loving every second. THough, I admit I had a few micro-sleeps last night between exposures of Eta Carinae:P

cometcatcher
14-10-2012, 08:16 PM
That's a good shot for just 4 minutes. Imagine if you were to stack a few dozen. ;)

Screwdriverone
14-10-2012, 08:52 PM
DAMN....

Stop beating me to all the good targets Lewis!

This is great for a single sub.... I havent had much luck detecting it in my thermonuclear camera, all the noise washes it away.....the best I have tried so far is the attached 3 min @ ISO 1600, which is noisy as hell. Its barely visible and I am not sure what was going on there. :(

By this time next year you will have all the Messiers done!

Keep at it!

Cheers

Chris

LewisM
14-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks all.

The uncropped is gorgeous, but a ruddy gradient at the bottom corner from a passing 4WD!

stardust steve
14-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Looks great Lewis. Good show. Can't wait to get my ED80 pointed at this gem. :thumbsup:

Osirisra
14-10-2012, 10:07 PM
single frame, nice one! yup that some good skies. nothing but cloud and rain here :(

Sarge
14-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Great shot Lewis,

Vivid colours in both Flame Neb and Horsehead, with good depth and contrast. Look forward to seeing the final product.

clear skies

Rod
:D:D