PDA

View Full Version here: : The Straight Wall

bkm2304
26-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi All,

Straight Wall (Rupes Recta), taken on the 24th September. Also known as Huygen's Sword. Above it is Birt after the 19th Century English Selenographer and offsider to John Herschel; Lassell after William, the English amateur rich guy who discovered Triton, Hyperion, Ariel and Umbriel; Purbach after the 15th Century Austrian Astronomer and inventor; La Caille, the French Abbe who catalogued 10,000 southern stars and gave names to faint patches of sky like Telescopium and Horologium to represent the enlightenment and progress; Thebit after Iraqi medieval astronomer; Arzachel after the Spanish medieval astronomer; Alpetragius another Spanish/Moorish medieval astronomer; Alphonsus after yet another Spanish Moor Astronomer from the 13th Century.

22" Newtonian, DMK21, stack of 450 from 2,500 images. The seeing was excellent!:D

Great shots of Rupes Recta and surrounds from Selene are here.
(http://lunarnetworks.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/rima-birt-and-rupes-recta.html) Richard

Larryp
26-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Great images!

DJDD
26-09-2012, 11:48 AM
thansk for interesting write-up, too.

SkyViking
26-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Great image of this fascinating structure :)

alistairsam
26-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Hi,
Silly question, but I know craters are concave and it takes a while for the brain to transform it from convex to concave, but these craters look convex to me no matter how I look at them.
Is it me or are they really convex, like plateau's?

edit : ok finally got it by staring at the small crater around 9 O'clock and then all of them appear concave, but it reverts back quickly. must be the age catching up!!

bkm2304
26-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks all for the comments. . Yes, Alistsair, when I first see craters on the imaging screen they almost always look concave to me. I have to move my eyes around fast until they reorient. Quite pleasant but also disconcerting!

Richard

Matt Wastell
26-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Look at the image upside down - it changes again!