PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion Nebula and Running Man.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
30-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Hi,

Here's another image from this morning, Orion nebula and the running man.
Although I've image these before, it's the first time I think I've done them justice.
Boy, talk about 3D in the bottom half of orion!!
Still having trouble with the trapezium area, but I'll keep working on it.
The colours are out of the camera, just saturation used.

Cheers,

Justin.

Nikolas
30-07-2012, 11:11 PM
very nice!! What time was this taken?

atalas
31-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi Justin

Ok,don't you sleep!looks like your the first of M42 for the season?another great effort too!well done.

strongmanmike
31-07-2012, 07:50 AM
That's excellent, lovely colours, great job. Be good to bring out some core detail but still looks the goods :thumbsup:

Mike

Rigel003
31-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Your imaging and processing has come so far in a short time Justin and you're way ahead of the field with Orion in July. Like Xmas in winter. Nice detail and colour - just need to layer some shorter exposures for the core.

Greg Bock
31-07-2012, 09:22 AM
HI Justin
very nice, your imaging is coming along well indeed.

The diffraction spikes on the brighter stars show a small amount of doubling on the left side (9pm position). It makes me wonder if your secondary spider vanes are not at 90 degrees? Just a thought?

ZeroID
31-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Awesome pic, I do love the diffraction crosses on the bright stars. seem to enhance the stellar feel to it. Some real depth there and lovely colours. Excellent work. Thanks for sharing.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
31-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the comments!

I too like diffraction spikes, always reminds me of how imagined stars as a child.

Your right Greg, the spider veins always seem to move about from night to night. They are not very stiff and I have them tight, I think they are made from mild steel. It would be better if they were spring steel.

Hi Graeme,
I did take some short exposures and layered them in, it worked but looked odd. The image seemed to loose dimension, so I left it out.
This is just another skill I need to learn.

Thanks Mike,
I'm pleased with the colours, probably looks better because I did'nt screw with them too much.

Yep don't sleep a lot, something to do with getting older. I used to get pissed off with the lack of sleep, but now I put the insomnia to good use.

Hi Nikolas,

Taken just before astronomical twighlight, monday morning.

Cheers,

Justin.

Ross G
31-07-2012, 09:32 PM
A great looking photo Justin.

Nice, natural look.

Ross.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
01-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks Ross!

Yeh looks a bit more natural, mainly because I'm working with the colours that are coming from the camera rather trying to convert to my preconceptions.

Cheers,

Justin.

leon
01-08-2012, 05:02 PM
A difficult one at the best of times, but you have done it justice, well done.

Leon

tilbrook@rbe.ne
02-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks Leon!!

Cheers,

Justin.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
05-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi,

I've done some more processing on the core of Orion, and managed to tame it, with some help from a fellow astro imager.

Cheers,

Justin.

bigscope
14-08-2012, 01:54 AM
hi ther. im working on this one all so i have the same canno how did you get your f.stops? mine are stuck at 0.00 becouse of no lens. plz help. new to this

nandopg
14-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Justin,
Lovely image !! Capture and processing are just great.

Thanks for sharing,

Fernando

Nikolas
14-08-2012, 09:25 AM
What was the capture process you used? These are stunning!!

gregbradley
14-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Very nice.

You can take some short exposures and use Photoshop to layer them into the bright core to keep details.

Greg.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
14-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks Greg!

Thanks Nikolas!
Greg is right, I used 2 minute subs, a total of 30 minutes then some 30 second subs both stacked seperately in DSS. I then imported them in Photo shop, and layered the 30 sec on to the 2min image. Of course that's the basics you may want to tweak them first in PS for layering.

Thanks Fernando!

Hi,

A question first, do you have your camera attatched to a telescope, or are you piggy backing the camera with a standard lens.?

The camera will not recognise, the telescope as a lens, and it won't need to, so registering zero is right. If you are using a lens, it may be that it's not a standard one for your camera.

Cheers,

Justin.